Worst Salmon Run on Record

TRT File PhotoThe total tribal allocation—which must be shared amongst the Hoopa and Yurok Tribes—is set at about 814 adult salmon. Typically the Yurok Tribe claims 80 percent of the harvest allocation and the Hoopa Tribe claims the remaining 20 percent. That’s about 650 fish for the Yurok Tribe and about 160 for the Hoopa Tribe. Read More →

Tribal 2014 Fall Salmon Quotas Set

The Pacific Fisheries Management Council (PFMC) released their official 2014 fall run Chinook harvest guidelines last week, with 27,300 adult fall Chinook slated for tribal harvest on the Klamath and Trinity Rivers. Read More →

Trinity River Boasts Largest Salmon Run in Decades

Salmon were caught, cleaned, and put on ice before being donated by local fisherman to the Salmon for Elders Pilot Program in Hoopa. Fisherman donated 227 fish that were then distributed to 113 elders within the Hoopa Valley. / Photo by Kristan Korns, Two Rivers Tribune Read More →

Trinity River Salmon Nesting Survey

The distribution of Chinook salmon redds is expected to change in response to rehabilitation efforts of the Trinity River Restoration Program, and the relative run size of natural vs. Trinity River Hatchery origin fish... Read More →

OP-ED-Fishing for the Future (Danny Jordan-Hoopa, Calif.)

By DANNY JORNDAN, Hoopa Valley Tribal Self Governance Coordinator and Hoopa Tribal Fisherman Several Federal Courts have interpreted federally reserved Indian fishing rights as being a right to: "Up to 50% of the harvestable fish or the amount needed to accommodate a moderate standard of living, whichever is less. I was recently asked: Who defines Indian fish needs based on a moderate standard of living? The answer – The Tribe does. Under the existing federal trust responsibility standards the Hoopa Tribe is legally entitled to our share of 50% of fish that is produced by the Klamath and Trinity Rivers. However, if the referendum passes then the Tribe will have formally given up its allocation right in order to accept a lesser amount of fish. This decision will have far reaching impacts on the Trinity River, the Federal Government’s trust obligations to the Tribe, and the extent that future generations of Hoopa members continue to have meaningful fishing and water rights. Read More →