Stories, Legends and Other Things: Sheet Iron Jack

Traveling east on Highway 299, we pass through a small semi-ghost town six miles west of Redding. At one time, this little community was one of the most important sites in northern California. For more than three decades, from 1850 and into the 1880’s, it was the county seat for Shasta. Old Shasta, as it is known today, was first called Reading Springs. It soon changed its name to Shasta and was considered the “Queen City” of the gold country. From there the pack mules, or pack trains, ferried prospectors and supplies into the riches of the Trinity and Siskiyou mountains. It was safer to travel into those regions from the east rather than risking dangerous encounters with the Redwood and Hupa Indians from the west. Read More →